About the Town
Photo Gallery
Mayor & Commission
Town Manager
Assistant Town Manager
Town Clerk
Community Development
Funding Opportunities
Human Resources
Police & Fire Rescue
Public Works Dept.
Parks & Recreation Dept.
Email Newsletters
Contact Us

Public Works

Historically, Public Works Departments throughout the world have provided essential services to the citizens of their cities, towns and provinces, as well as staff support to other governmental bureaus, divisions or departments.

Sometimes when a service is taken for granted, few folks realize the many talents that are encompassed in a Public Works Department.  Conducive to the residents' everyday quality of life and well-being, the Public Works staff is busy caring for and maintaining the infrastructure of the Town.

Lake Park's Public Works Department is staffed by 26 employees comprising five divisions which operate out of 650 Old Dixie Highway under the direction of the Public Works Director.  The Department is open from 7:30 AM to 4:00 PM, Monday thru Friday.  In addition, the Lake Park Marina, located at 105 Lake Shore Drive, is an operational division of the Public Works Department.

The Divisions of Public Works:

  • The Administration Division provides supervision both to Public Works staff, consultants and vendors providing support services.  Administration sets goals and objectives and provides leadership through a united team spirit in order to complete the many tasks undertaken by the department.
  • The Sanitation Division includes not only service to both residential and commercial customers, but also provides collection, disposal of garbage, trash, vegetation and recycling pickup.  The Town provides customers with the necessary garbage cans, recycling bins or dumpsters as needed.
  • Grounds Maintenance Division is responsible for maintaining all Town parks (28.15 acres), ballfields (5.5 acres), medians, easements, alleyways, building grounds and greenery (including grass, trees and shrubs) throughout the Town.
  • Facilities Maintenance Division cares for all Town streets, sidewalks, storm drains, street signs and signals.  The division is also responsible for building maintenance and repair and assists other departments in special festivities and functions.
  • The Vehicle Maintenance Division provides service to all Town owned vehicles and equipment.  This is quite a task considering the varied types of vehicles:  passenger cars, sanitation trucks, pickups, heavy equipment, mowers, grounds maintenance tools and equipment.

This is just a cross-section of the Town's Public Works Department.  Public Works staff approach every task with positive inner drive and an attitude to provide the best quality service for the citizens of Lake Park, as well as always helping to improve the appearance of the Town.  Public Works is working hard to accomplish our goals, and live up to the Mission Statement of the Town of Lake Park.

You also can E-mail us.


What is the sanitation pickup schedule for grey cans, vegetation, bulk trash?
Grey cans used for garbage are collected on Monday and Thursday.
Vegetation is collected on Monday only.
Recycling is collected on Wednesday only.  Yellow bins are for plastic, glass and aluminum.  Blue bins are for newspaper and mixed paper.

Bulk trash is collected on Thursday only.
Customer may call for a special pickup if needed on another day for a special fee.

When a holiday falls on a sanitation pickup day, when will my collection take place?
On the day following the holiday.

Who do I call to fill a pothole in the street?
Potholes are filled by the Public Works Department.

Who maintains the swales in Town?
The swales are maintained by the property owner or their agent.

There is a tree blocking a stop sign at an intersection, who takes care of this?
If the tree is on private property or in the swale, the property owner is responsible.  The Town does have the authority to trim back trees that are a traffic safety hazard.

What materials can be recycled?
Place plastic, glass and aluminum in the yellow curbside bin.
Newspaper and mixed paper are placed in the blue curbside bin.
Cardboard can be stacked  between the two bins or deposited in the Solid Waste Authority Recycle roll off alongside the railroad tracks near Park Avenue.

Why wasn't my cardboard picked up?
Cardboard boxes must be broken down and cut up to 14" x 18" size.  Only corrugated cardboard is accepted.

What items can be placed in the dumpster?
Household and/or commercial garbage (which must be bagged), trash and vegetation.
The Town will not pickup:  construction materials such as - concrete, asphalt, plaster, rock, roofing materials, automotive parts including tires, car batteries, engine blocks, gas tanks, etc.  hazardous materials such as - gasoline, lacquer, oil based paint, explosives, motor oil, pressurized containers, etc.   For disposal instruction on these types of trash call the Solid Waste Authority at (561) 687.1100.

Why was my dumpster not picked up?
There could be several reasons why a dumpster was not emptied.  Please call Public Works if this should happen.  Some of the problems may be a vehicle blocking access to the dumpster, dumpster overloaded, dumpster behind a locked gate, etc.

Why did I get a bill for $25?
A special pickup fee is charged when garbage or trash is put out for collection and picked up on the wrong day.

Is Lake Park responsible for water and sewer service?
No.  For water and sewer service call Seacoast Utility Authority at 561.627.2900.

What is a storm drain?
A storm drain is part of the storm drainage system town wide that catches stormwater and carries it to the Intracoastal Waterway, South Lake or a South Florida Water Management canal. This is a separate system from the sewer system and is maintained by the Town.  Stormwater is released untreated and therefore, no other liquids or material should ever be deposited down a storm drain.

I just changed the oil in my car, what do I do with the waste oil?
Do not throw jugs of oil in the trash or dumpster.  Do not pour down any storm drain or sewer pipe.  Waste oil is recyclable. Waste oil can be brought to the Public Works Department to be recycled.  In addition, some local automotive repair centers accept waste oil.

I am doing home remodeling, will the Town pick up construction debris?
For all extensive home projects a construction dumpster will be needed.  Call Public Works to ask how this can be obtained.  A small amount of debris from a minor home project may be collected.   All pieces of debris must be cut to 4' or less .

A sprinkler head is broken on public property, who do I call to report it?
Public Works maintains the irrigation systems in all the Town parks, medians, ballfields and around Town buildings.  Call Public Works.

A traffic sign is missing or a traffic signal is not working, who do I call?
Call Public Works.  Traffic signs are maintained by the Town.  Traffic signals are maintained by Palm Beach County or Florida Department of Transportation.  The Town will report repairs to the correct agency.

There is a street light out on my corner, who takes care of these lights?
Most street lights are repaired by Florida Power & Light Co., some lights are maintained by the Town.  Report street lights out to Public Works and we will report it to the responsible agency.

How do I report a problem with railroad barricades crossing the tracks?
Railroad crossings are maintained by Florida East Coast Railroad.  Call Public Works and we will report any problems with the crossing or barricades.

Where do I get information on the Lake Park Marina?
The Marina is currently under construction.  All queries can be addressed to Public Works.
Tree branches are growing into the power lines, who can cut these down?
Never cut any vegetation in or around power lines.  Call Florida Power & Light Company to report this problem.

The easement behind my house is overgrown with vegetation, who is responsible for the maintenance?
These easements are provided to allow the utility companies to reach and service their power lines, water and sewer lines, gas lines, etc.  Most utility easements are mowed and cleared by the Town.  Call Public Works for further information.


Copyright © 2005 Town of Lake Park. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy
Site by InterMedia Solutions

Public Works

Paul Carlisle

Phone: 561-881-3345

Fax: 561-881-3349

Send Email